Roxanne Achong-Coan OD, FAAO, FIAOMC, FSLS
Member - Orlando, FL
The featured Diva for this week is Dr. Roxanne Coan. Read the full feature below to learn more about her journey!
1. Tell us a little bit about you?
I was born and grew up in the Caribbean and then moved to Canada when I was 16 years old. I attended the University of Toronto and received a Bachelors of Science in Physiology.
I am married with 2 teenage boys- one who loves basketball and the other who loves cross country. My favorite thing to do is to spend time with my family, workout, and would become a Jedi if it were possible. My favorite foods are popcorn and Cheetos.
2. What made you decide to become an Optometrist?
I was diagnosed with inflammatory orbital pseudo tumor when I was in Toronto, Canada so I was in the care of eye care professionals for a year. That experience changed my life. I wanted to help people the way these doctors helped me.
I also worked at the front desk at an optometric practice in Toronto and fell in love with the profession. My optometrist would constantly show me ocular disease, and contact lenses.
3. What Optometry school did you go to?
4. Where do you currently practice?
5. Do you offer any specialty services in your practice?
Dry Eye Treatment and Management, Ocular Disease, Specialty Contact Lenses, Orthokeratology and Myopia Control
6. Name 1 to 3 hurdles you personally faced in your career and how did you overcome them?
7. If you could go back to when you were a student, what advice would you give yourself?
I would network with friends and faculty and learn more about the profession as a whole.
Also, no matter how difficult it becomes, sleep is most important.
Pay attention to those practice management courses because they will come in handy one day and learn, learn, and learn….
To contact Roxanne, you can click on her social media profile links below.