If there were no limits, what would your life and practice look like? What would it feel like doing what you love every day? Would you feel happier? Would you be wealthier? Would you be healthier? Just imagine for a moment…
What images come into your mind as you imagine? The images you see in your mind when you think of these questions are the pieces of your internal vision board. Now, what I’m going to show you is how to bring them out into the physical world.
Vision Vs. Goal
Vision is a clear image of how you see your future. Your vision is aligned with your deepest values and priorities. It is what you believe in or what you want to become or create. It is your desired future.
Vision inspires, motivates you, keeps you excited to do what you do. You can set a vision for your life, health, career or relationships. You can set a vision for what you want to have, to what you want to do and who you want to be.
While your vision is a clear image of your future state, your goals are specific action steps that move you towards your vision. However, the terms vision and goal are often used interchangeably. But for our purposes in this workbook, we are using the term vision to represent where and what you see for yourself in your future and goal for how you will get there. For more information on how to create smart goals for success, click here.
What is a vision board?
Vision boards are a collection of images or objects arranged in a way to help you manifest your vision. This board can be physical or digital.
Vision boards are highly versatile. You can use them to manifest your personal goals or create a visual representation of a personal vision statement. They’re perfect for helping you envision your dream life.
You can use a vision board for long term goals, like achieving your 5-year plan. Or you can create a yearly vision board.
People who use vision boards usually place them where they’ll see them often. For instance, you can place a vision board on a mirror you use to get ready in the morning. Other people will prefer to hang it on a wall in a room they use often.
Your vision is your desired state for the future.
It sets the path for your journey to thrive in life and in business. It helps guide you to your desired destination.
5 tips to create your personal Vision Board
- Make sure that your vision aligns with your core values. Your vision board must fit who you are and what you believe. Don’t try to keep up with the Joneses. Keep your vision board as authentic as possible. In doing so, you’ll create an unwavering anchor for your future.
- Make sure your vision board is ambitious but realistic. Many people suffer from a condition I call “Unrealistic Expectationitis”. Such people get into the habit of creating visions they can’t achieve and that usually lead to discouragement and disappointment. Enlist the help of a coach to help you reach for the stars while keeping your feet grounded on earth.
- Make your vision board in a way that will keep it adaptable to change and growth. If you’re too rigid, you may restrict your vision and it may not be applicable years down the road.
- Follow the (K.I.S.S) rule… Keep It Simple Short! You are going to need help to fulfill your vision, therefore it must be easy to understand and implement. The easier it is to communicate, the easier it will be to create. Use pictures that don’t require too much work to interpret. Avoid abstract pictures unless it clearly shows what you want. The goal here is simplicity and clarity!
- Review it and update it as often as needed to keep your vision current and dynamic. Your vision board can be digital or on paper. I recommend a digital vision board especially for busy people like me because it makes it easier to update it often.
Vision Board Worksheet
Creating a vision board can be fun and easy. Engage with your creative, playful self. You don’t need to overthink the process. Your own vision board is for you and you only, so there’s no one you need to impress with it.
You can create a physical vision board that you can hang anywhere in your home or office following the steps in our downloadable worksheet. Click on the button below to access worksheet.