Do you often put yourself into situations which require sacrifice for the benefit of others, or service to others, without regard for your own well-being, happiness, success or profit? If you find yourself in these situations often, you may have Martyr Complex.
If you’re still reading, you must be intrigued and probably feel like I’m talking to you… If that’s the case, let me reassure you that you’re not alone. Many of us struggle with this complex and of those, I’m the poster child.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t help others. It’s when you habitually to do so with blatant DISREGARD for your own well-being that it becomes a complex. Especially when you’re left feeling powerless and resentful afterward.
If I’m still speaking to you, here are 3 tips to empower you confront this complex and help you realize that you matter too!
Tip #1 – Set Boundaries
- Set boundaries for yourself – Learn to say NO to yourself.
- Set boundaries for others – Learn to say NO to others.
- Example: Do not see the patient who’s 30 minutes late for their appointment for the oomph time…
Tip #2 – Take breaks from helping
- Surround yourself with people who don’t NEED your help all the time.
- Let your kids figure out dinner on their own sometimes and go out to eat and don’t bring a doggie bag.
- Let your staff handle a crisis and do not offer a solution. Let them figure it out for a change.
Tip #3 – Practice Mutual Reciprocity
- Expect to receive when you give. Just think of what would happen if your heart only pumped out blood without receiving.
- Stop giving when you don’t receive anything in return.
- You deserve to receive just as much as those you’re giving to. That is unless you think you’re better than them…
If you like this kind of content and would like to connect with other women who are in the journey of empowerment, click HERE to join Optometry Divas.
Let me know if this resonates with you in the comments below. #empowerconnectpromote #optometrydivas #drlaurettajustin #inspiration